A Little Background
To introduce myself as a researcher and as a teacher, I thought it might be helpful to share a little bit about my background and interests. I’m an engineer, so how about a numbered list?
- I have a cool job. Some of the perks include getting paid to learn, having autonomy in my research endeavors, and collaborating with great people.
- I am amazed by the simplicity and elegance of math and its ability to explain so many systems of the world.
- In elementary school, my class consisted of a total of 3 students (yes, that’s counting me). I attended a 2-room country school a few miles from where I grew up in rural South Dakota. The best part about this little country school on the Great Plains was that liking school was cool, which I believe is a foundation for a really great education.
- I like efficiency and logic.
- One of the best things about working in higher education is meeting all the amazing people from around the world. I love learning about the different cultures, customs, politics, and religions. Having a multinational set of friends and colleagues has greatly improved my cultural understanding of the world and its wonderful inhabitants.
- I tend to be a fairly private person, so bear with me as I begin on this voyage of telling the digital world about my research and teaching interests.