To illustrate ISE and OR is all around us and has been used to do some pretty cool and powerful things, check out this collection of examples published for the general public:
- a 5 minute video on Operations Research and Analytics
- Why UPS Trucks Don’t Turn Left
- How to Win the Price is Right using Game Theory
- “The Lion King” is 2013’s top Broadway earner with help from management science and yield management.
- What’s the chances of winning the billion-dollar basket bracket bet?
- How to Marry the Right One — A Mathematical Solution
- Why the Future of Innovation is Simulation
- How to Use Math to Crush Your Friends at Monopoly Like You’ve Never Done Before
- Soccer Goalies Ignore Basic Rule of Probability
- Visualizing Algorithms
- Test your decision making rationality
- Professor Balasubramanian’s Thoughts on the Science of Queuing
- Professor Balasubramanian’s Post on The Shortest Path, The Traveling Salesmand, and an Unsolved Question (I really liked the discussion around the open question of P and NP, and it’s relationship to critics versus artists).
- 10 Movies with OR Ties
- Combinatoric Math of Carrier Logistics
- Guess the Correlation Game
- Why traffic congestion happens: a great example of the negative impacts of variability
- Switch Fix Algorithms Tour
- How do you fix a school bus problem?
- Breaking down the College Football Power Index – ESPN Video
Back: List of Courses I Teach