The world needs more Industrial Engineers and as the Bureau of Labor Statistics points out — this is a versatile occupation — both in the kind of work done and in the industries that the expertise is used in.
Industrial Engineering is an awesome career path and this page is to be used to provide links that future industrial engineers could find useful. My target audience is middle and high school students interested in a fun, rewarding, and exciting career.
- Introduction to Industrial and System Engineering YouTube video I created.
- A list of Famous Industrial Engineers
- PBS’s American Masters: Lillian Gilbreth Pioneering Inventor and Mother of Industrial Engineering
- Industrial Engineering the Magic at Disney
This video provides an insight into just one awesome career path that you can pursue with an Industrial Engineering degree.
- The Ins and Outs of Industrial and Systems Engineering
Professor James Moore, II does a great job of articulating the similarities and differences between industrial and systems engineering and other fields like general engineering, systems engineering, mathematics, and business.
- Here is what Industrial and Systems Engineers do on a Daily Basis
- Engineering a Better Food Bank
This article from the National Science Foundation illustrates how IE’s can make a difference. “Their goal is to [operate a food bank] as fairly and efficiently as possible. But, like many complicated systems, this is easier said than does. This is where engineering comes in.” “Industrial and systems engineering focuses on understanding processes (like those at a food bank) and using computational models to find ways to improve them.”
- Applying Toyota Production System principals to a food bank video.
- A Math Major Talks About Fear
This is a great monologue from an undergraduate math major describing that math is something everyone can do and everyone should do. As she says, “Believing that you’re ‘not a math person’ is a huge obstacle to learning math” and is something we need to change in our culture.
- What’s an Algorithm?
This is a neat Ted-Ed Presentation from David J Malan on what’s an algorithm. The field of Industrial Engineering is full of algorithms, like the Simplex Method to solve linear programming problems.
- Blossom – Great resources for high school math programs to expose students to the exciting world of Operations Research
- One Word Math Classes. Math is the language of industrial engineering. In this great post, the different math fields are described by a single word.